Why is Registering to Vote Important?
Registering to vote benefits individuals, health centers, and democracy as a whole. Registered voters are more likely to be active and engaged citizens, and studies show that voter participation results in improved health outcomes. Health centers improve when the people we serve vote at higher rates and are able to express their support for health care access and services provided by voting. Our democracy is strongest when people of all backgrounds participate.
Voter Registration Guidelines 2022
Verify Your Eligibility
To be eligible to register to vote, you must be:
• A Michigan resident (at the time you register) and a resident of your city or township for at least 30 days (when you vote)
• A United States Citizen
• At least 18 years of age (when you vote)
• Not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison
Fill Out an Application
Obtain a voter registration application at the following locations:
• Download from Secretary of State website
• Your local Secretary of State branch office
• Your local county, city, or township clerk’s office
• Offices of several state agencies, like the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
• Military recruitment centers
• Voter Registration Drives
You must show proof of where you live. Documents must have your name and current address. Digital copies of documents are permitted. Acceptable documents include:
• Michigan driver’s license or State ID card
• Current utility bill
• Bank statement
• Paycheck or government check
• Other government documents
Submit Your Application
Upon filling out your application, you can return it to your city or township clerk’s office any time up to 8pm on Election Day.
Upon filling out your application, you return it to your city or township clerk’s office postmarked at least 15 days prior to Election Day.
For complete information about voter registration, please visit the Secretary of State website at: https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/Home/RegisterToVote/